11.97° overcast clouds
At Woodlane we understand that changing schools can be a traumatic time in a child’s life and appreciate that for a child with special educational needs it can be even harder. We pride ourselves in providing a thorough transition package and will work with parents to ensure all pupils are ready for their transfer.
Please watch an introduction and video tour of our school below:
Primary to Secondary Transition Summary:
Year Group Structure
- Transition Leader responsible for Primary to Secondary transfer.
- Roughly half of Year 7 timetable taught by transition teacher, half taught by subject teachers.
- 2 x Year 7 Tutors.
- Teaching assistant in each class.
- 2 x classes set by ability level.
Organisation of Space
- Transition rooms situated in far end of school, slightly separate.
- Whole school integration at break times, with quiet areas available.
- KS3/KS4 lunch times.
- High staff:pupil ratio.
- Lockers available to all Year 7 pupils.
- Whole school.
- Year 7 table at lunch times, transition teacher/headteacher to eat with pupils.
- Buddy system.
- Welcome letter sent to parents/carers, include transition plan (end of Spring Term).
- Welcome letter sent to new pupil (end of Spring Term).
- Primary information request, transition plans sent to primary schools (Summer Term).
- Invite to Open Evening sent to parents/carers (Summer Term).
- Pupils invited to spend an afternoon at Woodlane during the Summer Term. Parents/carers invited to remain in class for part of the morning/afternoon.
- Pupils invited to Year 6 transition lesson (Summer Term).
- Some pupils to be visited at their primary school by the Transition Leader and Annual Reviews attended where possible.
- Pupil visits to various Primary schools (Spring/Summer Term).
Open Evening (end of Summer Term)
- Academic information provided.
- Details on behaviour policy.
- Meet Head/Deputy/Transition Teachers/Year 7 Teaching Assistants.
- Receive induction pack (including timetable, transition booklet etc.)
- Question and answer session.
- Informal meetings over refreshments.
- Current pupils to meet and greet (modelling correct uniform).
- Chance to purchase school uniform.
Induction Day (first day of Autumn Term).
- Year 7 pupils only.
- Introduction assembly.
- Tutor available.
- Dairies provided and guidance on use.
- Teaching assistant to guide pupils to lessons and encourage use of timetable.
- Get to know you activities/subject lessons.
Transition Evening (start of Autumn Term, once pupils have started)
- Pupils use PowerPoint to present their experiences to date, including a selection of their work.
- Chance for parents to informally meet with transition teachers and teaching assistants.
+ Any pupil specific arrangements (if required)
Mid-Year Transition Summary:
- Introductory phone call to parents.
- Transition Leader to visit pupil at current school and/or home visit (if required).
- Teaching assistant to visit pupil at current school (if required).
- Initial planning meeting – form individual transition plan.
- Selected half and full days (individual plan to detail).
- Mid-year transition pack.
Should you require further details please contact the transition leader Paul Best.